Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Monroe and a Poem

Marilyn Monroe reading Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass. Those Awesome people are at it again, with the blog Awesome People Reading.

Shut not your doors to me proud libraries,
For that which was lacking on all your well-fill'd shelves, yet
needed most, I bring,
Forth from the war emerging, a book I have made,
The words of my book nothing, the drift of it every thing,
A book separate, not link'd with the rest nor felt by the intellect,
But you ye untold latencies will thrill to every page.

Shut Not Your Doors - Walt Whitman (Leaves of Grass, 1881)

You can read Leaves of Grass for free at Project Gutenberg or you could go to your local secondhand bookshop and find a musty, pre-loved version to keep forever.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I already have an old, old copy, new when I was at uni 40 years ago. A favourite book of the beats, too.

    "What thoughts I have of you tonight, Walt Whitman, for I walked down the sidestreets under the trees with a headache self-conscious looking at the full moon." (Allen Ginsberg, 'A Supermarket in California.')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing that awesome tumblr to my attention...here's one for you: http://mydaguerreotypeboyfriend.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i knew you would, jo! wonderful quote, too. don't you just want to say that out loud over and over? "what thought i have of you tonight, walt whitman..." tis lovely.

    gerry - THANK YOU!! i love it!

    ReplyDelete

hey anonymousauruses - give yourselves a name. a nom de plume, a nom de blog. it's more fun that way.