Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

review: good oil

Good Oil, Laura Buzo (Allen & Unwin)

Amelia is 15 and has just got a job at Woolies, where she meets 21-year-old Chris and she is fairly instantly smitten. They click right away, spend their breaks discussing literature and philosophy and there are moments where Amelia thinks that maybe she is in with a chance. Buzo has perfectly captured the somewhat obsessive nature of teenage crushes, as Amelia analyses the smallest of exchanges and looks.

‘I am acutely aware of Chris’ movements at work. I see him approaching even when I’m studying a bag of beans to distinguish whether they’re broad beans or round beans. I know which girls he has talked to throughout the shift. I know when he’s preoccupied or playful by the way he moves. I know it all. Sometime I mutter his name under my breath like a madwoman.’ (p31-32)

After 90 pages of Amelia’s point of view, the reader becomes privy to Chris’ side of the story through diary entries (mostly drunken) and we realise that Chris is struggling with some love questions himself. Though it at times seemed a little didactic (or at least strangely over-explanatory) when Chris lectures Amelia on the history of feminism, it still was very interesting to have the topic broached.

I have a little niggle – when Chris is lambasting Amelia over the thing that happens at Bianca’s party I found myself laughing at what he was saying, and his manner, before realising a few pages later that he was actually supposed to be a serious exchange, and not a playful, hilarious one. I’d be interested to know if others read it the way it was intended, or if they had the same reaction as me.

Overall, Good Oil is a very enjoyable read for both girls and boys (though mostly girls) and is a great first novel.

9 comments:

  1. ooooo great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i thought it was funny too but i also thought it was intended to be so

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for sharing this very useful information, I am very happy to have found this information that I have been looking for

    Obat Kerumut Alami
    Obat Tenggorokan
    Obat Cenang Herbal
    Obat Bisul Di Telinga
    Obat Rorombeheun
    Obat Gatal Pada Tangan
    Obat Tumor Parotis
    Cara Mengobati Hirschsprung

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for sharing this very useful information, I am very happy to have found this information that I have been looking for
    Obat Herpes Herbal
    Obat Pembengkakan Kelenjar Air Liur
    Obat Bintik Berair
    Obat Kurap Alami
    Obat Luka Diabetes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for sharing this very useful information, I am very happy to have found this information that I have been looking for
    Cara Menghilangkan Amandel
    Obat Penghilang Bekas Luka Bakar
    Cara Mengobati Kerumut
    Cara Mengobati Batuk Rejan
    Obat Panu Alami
    Obat Infeksi Mata

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share obat ginjal bocor obat sakit pinggang obat lipoma obat maag kronis obat cantengan

    ReplyDelete

hey anonymousauruses - give yourselves a name. a nom de plume, a nom de blog. it's more fun that way.