Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

review : GRAFFITI MOON

Graffiti Moon, Cath Crowley (Pan Macmillan)

Lucy loves Shadow, although she has never met him. Like a Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist with street art and burglary instead of punk music and NYC, Graffiti Moon takes place over one rollicking night.

Lucy Dervish has finished her year 12 classes and is heading out for a night on the town with her best friend Jazz (who wants to write "stayed out all night. kissed someone." in her diary the next day) and new friend Daisy (who kicks her b/f in the balls when she wants info out of him). she wants to find Shadow - a graffiti artist who paints skies and birds and doors on walls all around the city.

They run into Daisy's b/f Dylan and his friends Leo and Ed instead. Ed and Lucy once went on a date. 'Every time he looked at me I felt like I'd touched my tongue to the tip of a battery. In Art class I'd watch him lean back and listen and I was nothing but zing and tingle.' (p26) But when she tried to talk about To Kill A Mockingbird he grabbed her arse. So she broke his nose.

Jazz is totally up for an adventure and preferably one with Leo. Ah, Leo whose other guise is as street graffiti poet known only as Poet. Poet's poems thread through the narrative (which alternates between Lucy and Ed) and poignantly tell his story. Leo needs money, and quick. So, with his brother, he plans to rob the school's media department and has asked Ed and Dylan to help. But they can hang out with the girls first...

I fell in love instantly with all of the characters. The plot is multi-layered and complex but Cath makes it all so easy to follow, it feels effortless, and you're compelled to read on and on. There are so many things I want to tell you about. I love Lucy's parents. I love the mentors. I love the descriptions of Shadow's art. I love that Lucy is a glass blower.

This is sexy, hilarious, rude, and a bit dangerous. It's got fantastic pacing (one night, people, this takes place over one night only), brilliant characters and awesome dialogue. It is 100% ace. Pop it on your shelf next to Notes from the Teenage Underground and let the riot start!

13 comments:

  1. Oh Kate, this review has only made me 14543 times more excited to read Graffiti Moon now - cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know! and i didn't even say HALF of what i wanted... we got a hard copy ARC today which is what spurred me to review. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! This book looks so good and your review is just made of awesome!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'm glad you liked it as I hated Nick and Norah... Although I only saw the movie *cough* but that was bad enough for me not to want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the film was nothing like the book - give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One - just one - of my favourite things about Graffiti Moon is way Cath creates all that art - Lucy's and Shadow's - I could really see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes! me too. and even the minor characters were totally awesome. daisy rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sold!! - I've loved everything Cath's written so can't wait to get my hands on this one after that review. By the way thanks for the Hunger Games suggestion - LOVE LOVE LOVING IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I've read the review, I'll have to buy the book. Congrats to Cath - sounds terrific. (But first I'll have to find out what happens at the end of Chasing Fire!)

    ReplyDelete

hey anonymousauruses - give yourselves a name. a nom de plume, a nom de blog. it's more fun that way.